As we celebrate #WorldHealthDay today, and as we talk about ‘#Food Safety’ as the theme for the year, many thoughts run past my mind. Food Safety is undoubtedly a shared responsibility. It requires equal participation of international and regional organizations in the fields of food, agriculture and health as well as non-public health sectors like food processing, trade, commerce, environment and tourism.
With this year’s slogan, ”From farm to plate, make food safe”, World Health Organisation (WHO) is laying emphasis on ‘food safety’ as an indispensable component of the global food supply chain. As we have progressed from the primitive ages, the production and processing of food has become an industrialized affair and the supply and distribution of food a globalized phenomenon. The global food pallet is no longer defined by local boundaries.
Our journey at Shimla Hills has also been shaped by this very global food movement. We have had our stories of successes and failures, discoveries and inventions influenced by the global food landscape and our customer requirements. However, at every juncture of this journey, we were deeply anchored by the belief of sustaining quality that travels right from origination till consumption. It’s been our slogan since inception and that is why we invest at every level of manufacturing, processing and distribution to be able to offer infallible food safety and quality.
Our uncompromising commitment towards quality and food safety, which is scrupulously observed at every facet of the supply chain is reflected in the following practices:
- Our food safety guarantee comes enforced by credible certificates like BRC, HACCP, A.I.J.N., S.G.F., I.R.A, GMP, APEDA, USFDA, ISO 22000:2005 for processing and packaging.
- A state-of-the-art laboratory and a centre dedicated towards excellence (CoE) in delivering customer value are hallmarks of our quality assurance mandate. Read more here: http://www.shimlahills.com/public/mailer/nov2014/quality.htm
- We are the first Indian company to use wireless digital online temperature control system right from the farms, all the way through the value chain, even over the sea till it reaches end user.
- We deploy best digital online channels for food traceability which onset at the farm level.
- We are the first Indian exporter to use precision controlled, modified atmosphere and modified humidity packaging for fresh produce.
- Our packhouses are equipped with latest technology that ensures proper post-harvest management, along with proper washing, drying, grading, packaging, ripening, VHT etc. based on product categories at each packhouse.
- We use neem (Indian Lilac) wood wooden pallets to ship our pulp/puree/concentrate consignments to international locations. Even after assuring systematic fumigation, ordinary word is susceptible to mould formation.
- Tests for agro-chemical residue, heavy metals and pesticides in conducted under QS certified, third-party laboratories like EUROFINS, SGS and TUV.
- To guarantee the consistency of our products, we use international standard food grade aseptic Goglio bags for packaging that are further packed in rust free steel drums with inner polyliner.
- Our fruit pulp units have unique PLC controlled automatic continuous processing plant machinery. This means all our products are processed and packed under utmost sterile conditions, with negligible human intervention.
- We never use artificial ripening methods and take utmost care to ensure that the natural taste and nutrients of the food stay intact. We undertake fruit ripening through government approved Ethylene system as against commonly used Carbide ripening.
- We love nature in its purest form. Therefore, we never support GMO (Genetically Modified Food). We believe that traditional, organic farming has much potential that can be harnessed to deliver higher yields.
- We have a stringent, three step vendor gating process that methodically ensures our vendors meet high expectations of our business and customers.
- At the core of all farming and food processing activities, Shimla Hills has always endeavoured to protect the environment as we firmly believe that the nature gives us back! Read more on our waste management practices here: https://blog.shimlahills.com/waste-management-opportunities-in-food-processing-industry/
So as we rejoice in giving an affable nod to the World Health Organisation (WHO) in its endeavor to provide food safety; do join us in the movement by ensuring that you consume only safe food!